Mr. Thalheimer has performed several airport and aircraft-related acoustical studies for the purposes of runway extension projects and FAA Part 150 Studies. These projects are often measurement intensive requiring coordinated noise monitoring at many community locations sampling hundreds of aircraft overflights (both fixed wing and rotor). Aircraft noise modeling is typically performed as well using the FAA’s Integrated Noise Model. Aircraft noise mitigation options include operational alterations, flight path changes, aircraft and hours restrictions, and residential soundproofing.
Example airport/aircraft noise studies that Mr. Thalheimer has been involved with include the following:
- Plymouth Airfield EA, Campbell & Paris Engineers, Plymouth, MA (1994) - Performed extensive community noise measurements and aircraft event collection utilizing three noise monitors simultaneously at a total of 6 locations to evaluate existing aircraft noise conditions surrounding the airfield as part of a runway extension assessment. KM Chng Environmental.
- Minuteman Airfield Noise Impact EA, Daylor Associates, Stow, MA (1994) - General aviation and helicopter noise evaluation mandated by the FAA. Responsible for ambient and aircraft event specific noise monitoring program surrounding airfield. Assisted with INM model development and validation. KM Chng Environmental.
- Runway 27 Environmental Impact Study, Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (1991) - Performed noise measurements in neighboring residential communities in an effort to document and assess aircraft noise impact for three alternative flight tracks under FAA consideration. Thal-Asc for Wyle Laboratories.
- West Palm Beach Airport, FL (1989) - Participated on team developing airport noise measurement system, designed outdoor monitoring poles, trained staff in use of equipment. Bruel & Kjaer.
- Assisted with Airport Noise Measurement Systems (1985-1989) presentations, demonstrations and proposals for several airports including Boston, Orlando, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Orange County, Ft. Lauderdale, Minneapolis, Atlanta, etc. Bruel & Kjaer promotional activity.